Plumbing Tips for the proper maintenance and sanitaryAugust 1, 2021
Plumbing, washbasin, sink, toilet, softener, etc. To avoid problems with clogged, smelly plumbing or clogged equipment, regular maintenance of your plumbing and sanitary equipment is essential. Follow our advice to keep all your pipes in good condition in order to have a healthy, safe and comfortable home.
For personalized advice on the maintenance of your plumbing and sanitary equipment, use our tool offering a tailor-made checklist according to your home and your facilities.
Why is maintaining your plumbing and sanitary equipment so important?
With poorly maintained plumbing and sanitary equipment, hassles can accumulate:
- the bathroom faucet that has no more pressure,
- the water from the shower that no longer drains properly, transforming your tray into a swimming pool,
- unpleasant odors coming from your piping,
- toilets that can become clogged.
How to properly maintain your plumbing in water features?
Your equipment in contact with water requires special attention. Depending on the type of equipment, the right actions vary.
Take care of your taps
The taps in your kitchen and bathroom are among the most used equipment in your home. Their number 1 enemy: lime deposits. Otherwise called “tartar”, it forms everywhere on your aerators, taps, showerheads, inside your electric water heater, etc. Results? In the medium and long term, this tart risks clogging pipes, clogging household appliances, increasing electricity consumption, and promoting the proliferation of bacteria in hot water installations.
It is important to know the hardness of the water, that is to say, its concentration in calcium and magnesium, in other words in limestone. The more lime the water contains, the harder it will be. Conversely, freshwater will contain little lime. To determine the hardness level of your water, use a store-bought test strip kit.
To remove scale, regularly clean the surface of the devices with a cloth soaked in anti-lime product. Soak the hand shower for several hours in a solution of white vinegar brought to a boil: 30% vinegar and 70% water. Rinse and reassemble everything.
Control the toilets
The water inlet tap and the tank of your toilet must be maintained regularly. You must first operate the water inlet tap of the tank so that it does not seize up. Then, you must clean it to avoid the fixation of tartar on the walls. To do this, close the water supply tap, empty the flush, open the tank and clean the inside.
If water is constantly flowing into the bowl and/or if the flush is triggered by itself, have your plumber replace the flush tank valve and/or the flushing mechanism after emptying the tank and shutting off the water. food.
Clean your sanitary plumbing equipment well
Is your bathroom equipment (sink, bath, shower, etc.) made of enameled cast iron, ceramic, or resin? They get dirty quickly and therefore require regular maintenance to keep their original beautiful appearance and function properly.
Clean enameled cast iron and ceramic appliances very regularly in lukewarm water with a little detergent. For those made of resin, use a sponge soaked in dishwashing liquid. Clean the drains with a cloth or sponge. Run hot white vinegar through the drains to prevent clogging. Finally, every week, remove the hair that has accumulated in your siphons.
Our tips for plumbing
Install protective grids placed at the level of the water drains (washbasin and sink), you will prevent hair and debris from accumulating in your piping, ending up blocking it.
You can also throw coffee grounds in your pipes. It naturally lifts waste from the walls and prevents bad odors. In addition, coffee grounds do not damage your pipes, unlike corrosive cleaning products.
How to properly maintain your water softener?
Have you opted to install a water softener because your water contains too much lime? Perfect, the softener will take care of preventing the formation of scale in your pipes and on your household appliances or your dishes (white marks). Here are some maintenance tips:
- You must check the salt level in your tank and check the hardness of the water leaving the softener once a month . If you do not know the correct operating values, read the manufacturer’s instructions. Depending on the results, rebalance the salt composition of the tank.
- Also remember to check approximately every 4 years if the salt deposits have formed a white crust at the bottom of the tank . In this case, wash it off with clean water.
- Finally, if you notice that the color of the cartridge of your pre-filter tends towards ocher , you must change it. This operation is carried out once or twice a year depending on the softeners.
- Once a year, have your water softener checked by a water treatment professional ( plumber ). It checks the control valve, the brine system and analyzes the water.
- To remove tartar, regularly soak the handshower for several hours in a solution of white vinegar brought to the boil, before rinsing it and reassembling it.
- Each week, remove the hair that has accumulated in your traps.
- Operate the water inlet tap of the toilet tank regularly so that it does not seize up.
- Check the hardness of the water leaving the softener once a month.
- Have your water softener checked once a year by a plumber.
Another article on this blog that may interest you: